Cybercriminals cost the global economy $2.9 million every minute last year, a total of $1.5 trillion, according to RiskIQ.
Top companies pay $25 per minute due to security breaches. Additional malicious activity includes:
- $1,930: the cost of hacks on cryptocurrency exchanges every minute
- $17,700: lost from phishing attacks per minute
- $22,184: the projected by-the-minute cost of global ransomware events in 2019
- 8,100: identifier records compromised every minute
- 7: malicious redirectors detected each minute
- 2.4: phish traversing the internet per minute
- 0.32: blacklisted apps by-the-minute
- 0.21: Magecart attacks detected every minute
Tactics range from malvertising to phishing to supply chain attacks that target e-commerce, like the Magecart hacks that have increased by 20% in the last year. The motives of cybercriminals include monetary gain, large-scale reputational damage, political motivations, and espionage.
Read more: Help Net Security