Summer 2018 State of the Internet / Security: Web Attack Report
It’s that time of year – the Summer 2018 State of the Internet / Security: Web Attack report is now live. This new naming schema is just one of the many changes you’ll notice if you’re a returning reader of quarterly report, and there are more changes coming as we work to bring you insights and intelligence from our data in as useful and timely a way as possible.
The Web Attack report is evolving into a shorter, leaner report. The Attack Spotlight was released as a stand alone paper. The statistical plots that made up a large part of the report have been published as blog posts (Web Attacks & DDoS By The Numbers). These changes will allow us to publish statistical data in a more timely manner in the future. At the same time, we are moving to more focused reports, published biannually, instead of a larger report published quarterly.
Here are some key takeaways from this new report:
– 16% increase in total DDoS attacks in Summer 2018 vs Summer 2017
– New attack vector: Memcached reflection
– New record DDoS attack: 1.35 Tbps
– 7,822 mitigated DDoS attacks
– Multi-vector reflection attacks using obscure vectors (IPMI and IKE) Mirai attacks still ongoing with new variants
Read more: Akamai blog